Ahhh, the truth eh?? You see, I decided to write this page in response to some comments I had been hearing from a few people who read my blog. These comments were well meaning and honest but they got me thinking....
What were the comments that caused my brain to have such strain? Well they went something along the lines of, "I love your pictures! It's beautiful there!" "You and Dave are so romantic!" "You are so happy!" "You're such an amazing mom!" and others along those lines.
And well...this old brain got to thunking along and I realized that maybe, from the outside, I didn't best represent the truth...or the whole truth here on Homemaker Design.
The thing is, when I started blogging, it was just an experiment of sorts. I had never been one to write much, was always told I wasn't very good! I never kept a diary or journal, at least not very faithfully. So when I started to blog, I figured it would be a phase and be over before I knew it. But something happened - apparently I like to blog and really do enjoy writing! So I have kept up on this old gal here and continued to record life with my family, thoughts on faith and many a varying rambles!
So, often when I'm putting things down, it's because it's stuff I want to remember. I have a poor memory and it has been great keeping this blog and recording things so that I can look back and go, "Oh yeah! I remember that!!" But honestly, I often forget that others read this!! I know I have a few "loyal" readers, they often leave the only comments...that's how I know they are there! But over all I write so that I can record and remember.
But after those various comments about how things looked on the outside, I got to thinking - maybe it's time I give you a glimpse at the truth, real, raw and honest! As, when I blog, I'm trying to keep a record of our life - just like in photos - it's not often you take pictures of the bad or hard times; I don't often record those times either....for various reasons.
Mostly I record the good or the lite versions of our struggles because I don't think it wise to dwell on the bad. I try to find God in every situation and praise Him in all areas! But I see now that I may not be being real enough and I figure it's either time to anti up - or quite this whole thing all together!
So here, in The Truth Behind Homemaker Design, I am recording the nity-grity of our life. This should help to knock my life off of any pedestal it may appear to be on, it should help you see the real people that we are and you can always refer back to here when you have (crazy!) notions that we have it all together!!
So enjoy, don't judge, but realize that blogs are just glimpses into peoples lives - the controlled, polished glimpses that don't always paint the whole picture!!
The Truth Behind Homemaker Design:
- We do NOT have it all together!
- I am a normal mom - I have great amazing...moments with my kids and I have terrible moments too!
- I yell! Too often!
- My kids are super sweet and I think them amazing, but they have tantrums, throw fits, fight (often lately!), lie and all the other 'bad' things that any kid can do!
- I have mommy guilt - but show me a mom who doesn't...seriously!
- I have said things to them that I regret...most I have apologized for...some I have not...
- My husband and I are romantics, to a fault!!
- My husband and I also argue and yes even fight - to the point of yelling and bad words being said!
- Dave and I love each, more then words can say, but we don't always agree and that's life!
- We have been married over a decade and yes, we still have that same fight...you know the one, we all have one, the one fight that never seems to get resolved....why is that???
- No, he has never slept in the "dog house" but I have threatened to sleep on the couch a few times! ;)
- We do enjoy spending copiousness amounts of time together but rarely get anything done when we do - we work best...separately! lol!
House and Home
- Yes, it is gorgeous out here!
- But gorgeous doesn't heat the house, and our house is old and cold! It can be cozy and the smell of the wood smoke is charming...but when the wood is wet and the temperature drops and you get up in the morning and can see your breath....the gorgeous loses some of it's charm.
- We get cluster flies. They are annoying...and gross.....and one time...one of those flies got stuck in one of our kid's ear! BLEGH!!!
- It takes two hours to mow our lawn! Though I do love to do it...that's not always how I want to spend two hours on a sunny day.
- We renovated, top to bottom, our first two houses, that was how we got the down payment for our current home. We enjoy renovating...mostly - it how we spend our 'free' time. We don't do it all - we just chose to renovate instead of cable T.V., vacations, gym memberships, etc.. This is what we do and it works for us!
- I struggle with issues of idolatry/gluttony - obviously pertaining mostly to food and I am working with God on changing that...but I need prayer!
- I get "addicted" to computer games...well I get addicted to lots of things...but the internet and the computer are key in time stealing for me!
- If given the choice for how to spend my time...I will often...if not always...be selfish.
- I...dislike going to church....not so much once I'm there - I love the people...but getting up and ready and out the door on a Sunday...well, it's a challenge to me. I love Sundays at home! It's bad...I know....
- We are terrible with money! And at any given moment are probably in debt to some degree!
- We are trying to change our money habits - and God has been good and gracious with us in this! It's a slow process...!
- I'm stubborn! So is hubby!
- My husband struggles with leading - he's a good, kind, generous man but he is not good at leading, in any form....and I too naturally jump in where he doesn't!
- Yes, I Photoshop my photos.
I believe in being real and this, dear friends, is why I have created this list! I never intended to make anyone think we did have it all together and so I am taking down the façade that we are 'perfect' and let you in on the real us! I'll add to this list as it comes to mind or if you have anything you really want to know - I'll honestly tell you, just ask!
Dave and I believe in trying to be real, it's not always easy, that's for sure but we are trying! God is most glorified in our weaknesses....so...I guess we are one God glorifying household!